Thursday, November 14, 2013

Coleslaw+2 Mayonnaise Recipes


Coleslaw, what a funny name. How does a shredded cabbage salad get that name? I wondered that too. Thanks to wikipedia, I know the answer. Guess what? I'll even share it with you!

The term "coleslaw" arose in the eighteenth century as an Anglicisation of the Dutch term "koolsla", a shortening of "koolsalade", which means "cabbage salad".

Well, there ya go! Now we know. Did you like coleslaw when you were young? I didn't. I thought it was tasteless and was always way too runny. It didn't even look good. If you've ever been around kids, you know that if something doesn't look good, they don't want to try it.

Slaw is commonly served during the summer months as a stand-alone side dish. I'm here to tell you, the shredded cabbage salad is great all-year and on top of or in many different meals! We love having slaw on our tacos. Simply adding some shredded meat (pork roast/chops, steak, etc) to it makes for a fun and new lunch too.



After you've made and devoured this homemade coleslaw, you will want to try it with everything, and I have complete faith in you that you'll come up with some new and tasty ways to enjoy it. Obviously, sharing those ideas with me!

The ingredient list for this recipe is short, which is key to making a good slaw. You want the flavors to mix together and do the work for you. This recipe uses regular cabbage (vs. red) and mayonnaise (vs. vinegar). Sorry Paleo and vegan friends. But wait, all you Paleos out there, by making your own mayo and using olive oil (vs. store bought which often uses canola), you can enjoy this too!

Just know, there are a ton of different ways to make coleslaw. I do love a red cabbage slaw! If you're less of a creamy mayo fan and more of a vinegar type, then sub some or all of the mayo for a vinegar.

Homemade Mayonnaise


Making your own mayonnaise is so simple, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. A couple different methods work here. Mayonnaise can be made in a blender/food processor or with an immersion blender.

This is where I share mayonnaise recipes with you because I simply cannot make it myself. The first time I didn't drip the oil in slow enough and the second time the olive oil I was using was too flavorful, it somehow made the mayonnaise taste like crayons. Yep, crayons. Explain that one to me!

Kid-Tested Mayo

Multi-Oil Mayo

Also, a very experience Mayo Maker, yes I capitalized it as if it were a title, let me in on a little secret. If the consistency is off a bit, add 1/2 t. gelatin. Woohoo, that's something I have in my pantry!

Creamy Coleslaw



1 head cabbage, shredded
6 whole carrots, peeled and shredded
scant 1 c. real mayonnaise
1 teaspoon granulated sugar (I use this one
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (look for raw)
enough S&P to draw out some moisture and flavor (roughly 2 t. of each)


Shredding cabbage is pretty easy, you don't need to make the chunks tiny. However, shredding a carrot takes a bit more time. After peeling skin off, just keep peeling or use a food processor. Here's my secret: I always have shredded carrots in my fridge. We love making Carrot Cake Pancakes so I will shred up a whole 3 lb. bag of them at a time!

Toss cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Add mayo, sugar, ACV, S&P. Mix well. Let sit at least 4 hours so flavors can come together. Add more S&P for flavor. Coleslaw will stay good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.

How do you eat your coleslaw? On tacos, burgers, etc? Have you had more luck than I in making your own mayonnaise?

1 comment:

Peeling Back the Onion Layers said...

Thank you for sharing this at Healing With Food Friday! http://peelingbacktheonionlayers.com/healing-with-food-friday-10/
Come back again this week - we are LIVE now!
http://peelingbacktheonionlayers.com/healing-with-food-friday-11/